The stressful life of today has its aftermath, pain in the body and joints are one of them. Well, there are medicinal therapies which can help in overcoming these problems, but stuffing body with the dosage of medicines and chemical is not a lucrative deal. Instead, people have now started opting for alternative therapies which are effective and doesn’t harm the body as well.Osteopathic treatments are one such way of treatment wherein the osteopathic medical physicians to diagnose as well as treat several physical illnesses.
What Is The Osteopathic Treatment?
Osteopathic medicine is a manual branch of medicine which does not make use of any scientific machines or chemicals to treat illnesses and instead uses the healing of the human hand. Osteopathy is derived from ancient Greek words where osteo means bones and pathic means sensitive to. Professional osteopathic physicians know the points in the body which may be the cause and the treatment of the disease the patient is feeling and they use procedures like stretching, massaging and other means to move joints and muscles in the patient’s body to provide relief from the pain that they were feeling.
Apart from the academic degree and certification, these therapists also need to get the training into a multi skeletal system wherein they gain knowledge about the intricate system of nerves, muscles and joins in the body. The application of this knowledge can help in complementing drugs in the treatment of certain pains or even be a substitute for medicines in some cases. Osteopathic treatments can be used for the treatment of several pains such as back pain, knee pain, etc. and also to treat structural and tissue abnormalities, to relieve joint mal-alignment and restriction, to restore muscle and tissue balance and even to promote the flow of blood to all parts in the body.
Osteopathic treatment requires the physician to use their hands to apply pressure or resistance and for stretching. The process generally does not hurt a lot and anybody from an infant to an elderly person can reap the benefits of the procedure. The practice involves the use of 40 different techniques some of which are:
- Soft Tissue: Application of pressure and stretching of muscles where the pain is originating or where it is most prominent
- Muscle Energy: In this technique, the physician asks the patient to move their muscles in a particular pattern or direction and the physician himself applies pressure on the same muscle in the opposite direction to that of the patient. This can be seen as stretching and contracting or pushing and pulling
- Myofascial Release: Fascia is the outer layer of connective tissue which surrounds all of the bones, muscles, and organs in the body. In this type of osteopathic treatment, the physician tries to put pressure on this tissue to help relieve pain.
- Osteopathic Cranial Manipulative Healing: This technique is slightly different than the others on the lines that it does not actually focus on the muscles or joints due to which the patient is experiencing pain but rather on the skull. The osteopath massages the skull to stimulate the blood flow and this increased flow of blood to the joint which needs healing helps in the decrease of pain.
Benefits of Osteopathic Treatment:
The best part about the osteopathic treatment is that it people of all age group can benefit from this treatment. The aim of this therapy is to ease the pain by promoting healing. Most of us know that this treatment is often related to the treatment of muscle and joint pains, but some people gave also found it to be effective in treating:
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
Coming to its primary healing properties, then it is used to treat:
- Structural and tissue abnormalities
- Relieving joint pain
- Restoring muscle and tissue balance
- Promoting the movement of the body
After you have undergone successful osteopathic treatments, you are required to stay away from a stressful situation. Here is how you can recover well:
- Walk: It is highly recommended that the patient walks for about 5-10 minutes immediately after the treatment. Encountering stressful situations such as traffic may cause the body muscles to tighten up again and that will lead to the procedure becoming ineffective.
- Rest: the patient might feel energetic, but it is essential that proper rest is taken. The body undergoes changes and is in a vulnerable state. Jolting and other sudden movements should be strictly avoided.
- Drink Water: Tissues that free up after the treatment may release some metabolites in the blood and so it is recommended that consumption is water is regular to flush them out of the system.
Osteopathic treatments are a great way to get rid of pain in a natural manner rather than by consuming continuous painkillers. The treatment is still in its research stage and has the potential for growth. To get the best benefit of the osteopathic treatments, it is important that you must connect with the right osteopathic therapist. Check their reviews, ratings, and experiment before availing their services.